Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Retail Search #1 Demographics
Task: Find demographic characteristics of users of your store/brand (who shops at that store most often).
- Identify the consumers (sex, age, education, etc) who use the service or product. These demographics will go into the rows.
- The brands will show up in the columns.
View the survey to see what consumers use your products.
Setup for the assignment:
- Click on the OPEN button and select the R1 - Demographics_Retail DO NOT EDIT file.
- Click LOAD to open the file and enter data into the Columns & Rows.
- Data that is entered in the COLUMNS needs to be changed to the brands you want selected. ROWS (Demographics) stay the same (pre-assigned, for simplicity.
To do your assignment:
- Click the blue 'X' at the top of the COLUMNS box to erase all Stores or Brands in the COLUMNS.
- In the DICTIONARY BOX (under Search button), scroll down to SHOPPING. Click the arrow to expand the category.
- Click on the arrow for DEPT/DISC/CHILD TOY/CLOTH/FT WEAR STORES.
- Click on the first option in this category for Shopped in Last 3 Months (the first category). The store brands list will open in the window to the right.
- Select the brands (stores) and drag this data to the COLUMNS box. Select multiple by holding the CTRL key.
- The DEMOGRAPHICS will remain in the ROWS.
- Click on RUN CROSSTAB to get the results.
- Click on the EXPORT button to save your data.
- Click on EDIT to return to the previous page. If you click on the BACK BUTTON you will be logged out.
Understanding the data
- Of the 23,793 people who answered the survey, 3.71% shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch in the past 3 months, 1.4% shopped at American Apparel, 5.27% shopped at American Eagle and 4.25% shopped at Banana Republic.
- The data for the individual demographic groups is considered to be unstable for some stores (note the asterisks next to the numbers for American Apparel). This shows that our demographic groups aren’t frequent shoppers at those stores.
- Women are more likely to have shopped in Abercrombie & Fitch in the past 3 months (Index of 113) as opposed to men (Index of 86).
- Shoppers in the 18-24 age group were more likely to shop at American Eagle (index 220) than Banana Republic (Index 97).